Wednesday 30 April 2014

Editing the Music Video

First thing i started with in post was trying out editing on offline because my computer is quite slow and i wanted to see if this would help the lagging. I followed some youtube tutorials and managed to get the low res footage to work with, linking into premiere to re-link at the end of the project.
I started editing the video while still in the company of my brother, partly for a second opinion, but he also wanted to make sure all the instruments were synched and used in the right places. Sometimes the band were miming wrongly, and he said that he's seen that happen a lot in music videos so he just helped me with that since he knows a lot about the song.
Once we had lined up the tracks & sorted out bad shots from the good, i started to arrange them in a way in which i felt flowed nicely between band shots and Suzy. I kept each band shot on each seperate video track to make sure they were synched, chopping out bits i wanted and putting them onto the top track. This helped me be able to flick through shots easier and keep things in an organised manner. I also labeled each track.


I spent a few days just checking and re-checking the edit by exporting low-res versions. This helped me be able to watch the video without distractions and possible lagging from premiere and it meant i could show different people for opinions. I also uploaded a version to show my brother once i had come back to Farnham.

I wanted to colour correct using Da Vinci Resolve but unfortunately it couldn't work on my computer and i was unsure what parts of the university i had access to. I did search a few open buildings but none of them had the software i needed. I decided to just stick with premiere pro, and try to find tutorials on how to correct and grade my footage to a good standard.
I ended up re-grading my video so many times, i think this was partly due to me not knowing the grading software completely, but also because i have made and edited the footage so i am just focusing on the bad points instead of trying to make it look good. I have decided to keep the video simple, just correcting the colours by using the waveforms and RGB waveforms to correct the footage & then give a little grading to Suzys parts. I wish that i could have given the video a 'look' and i might try to before uploading for the band, but for now, i feel like it would be better to keep it simple for the assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment