Wednesday 30 April 2014

Photography outcome

When i went to my grandparents for the music video, i decided i wanted to try and focus on nature photography as i know a lot of places near home that are good for wildlife, and even in their back garden, they have a lot of birds visiting. I sat taking photos of birds for around 6 hours, while family were having a peaceful sunday afternoon around me. I caught quite a few photographs that i like.










My grandparents were meant to take me to a few places while i was there but there were a few complications and we didn't go anywhere in the end. Also, i was so busy with the music video that the photography ended up taking a back seat unfortunately. 
Once i had come home, i was thinking about how i could still do something to do with photography. I tried to think of ideas but once again, it didn't feel comfortable for me to come up with concepts before i take the photos. If it's a subject then i'm ok, but concepts just seem strange because i don't know if i will end up with the photos i am wanting to produce and it feels forced.
I decided i would try and process the film of photos i had taken while in Brighton, and proceeded to do so at the university with help from Tamara. I ended up with an empty film because there must have been some problem with the camera i bought. This meant i still didn't have any final photography.

I realised quickly that time was running out and i had to think of what to do. I take photos all the time outside of university time, and the process of it being accessed seems to make them not only worse then usual, but i usually dislike the ideas behind them and the entire process. I decided that 1. Since i didn't have any photos to show for and 2. I feel more comfortable about my photos outside of assessment, i decided to compile together photography i have taken in the far and recent past and make a showcase of what i can do as a photographer.

I thought about how i could do this, and the first idea involved a collage on the wall. I then decided about a photobook, but quickly realised that if i wanted the photos to be printed onto paper, it would be quite a complicated thing to do with such a short amount of time. I didn't even have time to get one made in a shop.
I decided to make one in a scrapbook style, sticking the photos in. I would get them printed in a shop and buy a pad that i could dismantle and then use to make a homemade bound book that would present my photos like a portfolio.

 I am very happy with my finished photography work. Not only does it show my photography but i feel like its presented in a different and elegant way. My only issues are my horrendious hole punching skills! And the fact i had to cut a few of the photos down & only had scissors. But i'm happy that i was actually able to make something.

No comments:

Post a Comment